Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Weekend Wrap-up & Dessert of the Day: Dad's Birthday Apple Pie

I celebrated my dad's birthday last weekend with a family dinner and cake.  As I get older I find buying gifts for people more challenging than I remember it ever being before. . .
What was in the box?
 Homemade Apple Pies in Canning Jars!  When I asked what my dad would like for his birthday he said apple pie . . . whether or not he was kidding or serious that's what he got.  I thought instead of just bringing a pie I would make individual servings he could throw in the freezer and heat up when he felt like it.  While these little pies looked amazing in their raw state I thought the likelihood of my dad throwing a tiny jar into the oven for 45minutes was pretty slim.  So I baked them myself at home to allow for speedy heating.  The jars I was looking for were the short and fat ones, not the tall and skinny ones - but these were all I could find at the time.  The recipe I used was from this site and I loved the detail in this lady's directions. 
 I made the labels myself on the computer, printed them on glossy photo paper and glued them on with a regular old glue stick.  After adding a few details, I just packaged them up in a cardboard box and there you have it. 
 He seemed pretty pleased with the apple pie and since I had leftover jars and apples I made him six mini apple crumbles.  Never underestimate a gift you can make yourself! 
Happy Birthday Dad! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment